Travis County Law Library & Self-Help Center

314 West 11th, Austin, TX 78701      PH: 512-854-8677  Fax: 512-854-9887

Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court CostsIf you have a low income, or get government benefits because you have a low income, or you cannot pay court fees, you may fill out this form to ask the Court if you can file for your case without paying the court and filing fees. The Court may ask you to present evidence of your income and expenses at a hearing. 

Contested: A divorce is contested when the spouses don’t agree about getting the divorce, dividing property and debts, or what to do about child support and custody.

Petition: This is the form the petitioner files to ask the court for a divorce.

Petitioner: The spouse who asks the court for a divorce by filing a Petition. Even if both spouses want the divorce, only on spouse can be the petitioner.

Pro Se:
Pro se legal representation means advocating on one's own behalf before a court, rather than being represented by a lawyer.

Process Server: A constable, sheriff, or private process server who delivers court papers and files notice that the delivery was made in the Clerk’s Office. There is a fee for official process service. If your spouse lives or is jailed in another county, learn who provides 0fficial process service in your spouse’s county by asking the clerk’s office of that county. Contact information for Texas clerk’s offices can be found at

Respondent: The other spouse.

Uncontested Docket: The court that hears divorce cases when the case is either an agreed (uncontested) or a default divorce is called the uncontesed docket.

Uncontested: Either the divorce is agreed (both parties agree on all the issues) or default (the respondent does not file an Answer).